As codified, the responsibilities of the OIG include:
- Initiating and conducting independent fiscal and management audits, inspections, and investigations of District government operations.
- Serving as the principal liaison between the District government and the US Government Accountability Office.
- Conducting other special audits, assignments, and investigations.
- Annually conducting a performance audit of procurement activities of the District government.
- Forwarding to the appropriate authorities evidence of criminal wrongdoing that is discovered as the result of any audit, inspection, or investigation conducted by the Office.
- Entering into a contract with an outside auditor to perform the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) of the District government for the fiscal year.